Markree Castle

The Corscadden family took ownership of Markree Castle in May 2015 and the Castle has been lovingly and extensively renovated to the highest standards and now joins the family’s Romantic Castles of Ireland.

Having worked on 3 previous Castles for the Corscadden family, Audrey Gaffney Associates were contracted to start work straight away.  We were the project managers overseeing all the works including the conservation, restoration, design, M&E and construction of the Castle.

Research into the history and past uses of the building was of utmost importance.  The Castle has a long venerable history having been in the Cooper family for 7 generations, after it was gifted to them from Cromwell.

The Castle is a recorded monument which is listed in the records of monument and dates back to the late 16th Century.  It is also listed as a protected structure within the Sligo Development Plan 2011-2017.

 

The Castle itself being build in 1802, it is included in the National Architectural Survey of Ireland and is described as a 3 story block, with a 5 bay front with a 3 bay breakfront and a garden front with 1 bay each side of a curved bow front with a stoned basement.

The main entrance of Castle is under a beautiful vestibule stone arch, the grand tudor staircase leads up to the main reception with its large open stone fireplace, and original stained glass window.

Many architectural details within the Castle was designed by and Irish Architect by the name of Francis Johnston who was also well known for building the GPO in O’Connell Street in Dublin City.

This has been one of the longest project that AGA have ever worked on, so creating that ‘wow’ factor was of utmost importance.

Markree Castle opened in March 2017 and the feedback we received, so far, has been incredibly positive.

 

 




This project has been assisted by the Local Enterprise Office, Meath, under Ireland’s EU Structural and Investment Funds Programme, 2014-2020.

×